Wednesday 24 August 2011

Putting thrifted finds to good use!

I have been absent the last few weeks because our family went on a wonderful European vacation, after which I had to return to work.  Oh how quickly my year of maternity leave passed by.  Now that I am back to work, I don't have nearly as much time to thrift.  However, I have accumulated quite a lot of great thrifted items in the past year.  One of my top thrift items was always fabric, since I love to sew and fabric store prices are hard to swallow.  I have definitely been doing some major hoarding.  I decided that it is time for me to start using up all that fabric so I starting looking at projects that I could get started on. 

While reading some crafty/thrifty blogs, I've come across a few bloggers who make quilts for Project Linus, a charity that donates quilts to children in need.  What a wonderful cause I thought!  Well it turns out there is a local chapter of Project Linus in my city.  I contacted the coordinator and found out the requirements for the blankets that they accept, basically anything handmake and about 40" x 40".  Now I am super excited to get started on my first quilt.  Since Project Linus is based on the Peanuts character, I'm thinking I'll make a zig zag quilt - zig zags always makes me think of Charlie Brown.  :)  Here a few of my inspiration quilts:



Too cute right?  :)  In doing this, I'll also be participating in the 100 quilts for kids, an online initiative to sew charity quilts, hence the new button on my blog.  I love that the online community is banding together to do good!

7 comments:

  1. Wow what a great cause! I love the idea of a zig-zaggy quilt - go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great cause I love the first quilt the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm working away and will post once I make some good progress on my first quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to send a bowtie quilt I'm working to 100 quilts for kids. Yours is much cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it !
    http://babyemilycloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice thing to make for kids. I am an RN an worked many years in an ER in northern MN. I have given out my share of beautiful project Linus quilts to children. My favorite memorie was giving a blanket to a four year old boy, he had to go by helicopter to Duluth. I found a boy themed blanket with helicopters on it. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cause and your sweet charlie brown quilts :) Let us know how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete